The IGTV low-down
With the new update to Instagram, users can now use an external app for video content – IGTV.
Here’s what you need to know:
- You can now upload up to an hour of content.
- All content must be portrait (1080×1920).
- There’s no advertising within the IGTV side of Instagram, but that’s likely to change.
- IGTV will work similar to a YouTube subscription – giving priority to videos from accounts you already follow.
- IGTV starts playing content from your followers and others you might like based on your interests as soon as you open the app.
- You can swipe up to discover more – switch between ‘For You’, ‘Following’, ‘Popular’ and ‘Continue Watching’.
- You can also like, comment and send videos to friends through direct messenger.
- IGTV has channels – but, in IGTV, the creators are the channels.
- When you follow a creator on Instagram, their IGTV channel will show up for you to watch.
- Anyone can be a creator – you can upload your own IGTV videos which means you don’t need to be verified to start posting.
- IGTV content will sit on your profile in the same place as a highlighted story.
- To see your own subscriptions, select the icon in your follower feed.
If you are looking for a good example of how to use IGTV, check out @Vice on Instagram.